Why Country and Flag Waving Matter


When Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning goal for Canada in overtime on the final day and play of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, it stung. That goal, that loss by Team USA to the heavily favored Canadians bite at my soul.

Just a few moments earlier, everything was right because USA's Zach Parise had tied the match with a goal in the final half-minute of play. For those few prideful minutes, I felt a sense of relief with a renewal of hope for a gold medal. I was thinking, perhaps imagining, the Americans waving the U.S. flag, jumping up and down with excitement and feeling the ultimate sense of accomplishment. At that moment, it made me think that this young passionate and aggressive hockey team had quelled naysayers by rolling through the tournament unbeaten and winning the top prize. But the anxiousness of that moment turned to frustration when Crosby slapped the winning shot past Ryan Miller.

That is the way of sport, high expectations and it is over quickly. When you win, you want everybody to know and that means cheering, jumping up and down and in some circumstances waving the flag. When the Steelers won their last Super Bowl, there I was running around my house, yipping and yelling and waving my Terrible Towel. And, yes I stepped outside to let the world know who the best team was. When the USA defeated Canada earlier in the Olympics, I jumped up and yelled for the Americans. I was so proud.

That pride didn't start and stop with hockey for me - far from it. For two weeks I was part of a proud American public who watched a USA team roll up an Olympic record of 37 medals. And, we were equally proud of the efforts of those athletes like Jana Lindsey who didn't medal.

Through the magic of TV, we were able to identify up close and personal with the Apolo Ohnos, Evan Lysaceks, Hannah Kearneys, Bode Millers, Lindsey Vonns and Ryan Millers of the Olympian fame. We call them by first name, even when you have never talked with them. But, they are standing tall representing your country.

When they succeed, you feel their joy and you walk tall and proud. And, in those failing moments, you identify with their loss. While we can't begin to understand what they are feeling, we know they are disappointed, and, so are we.

In a sense watching these games was a lot like checking on my alma mater or my hometown. No matter where I live, I am driven to find out what is happening back home, whether sports, weather, or some kind of local news. When the hometown is doing well, I feel a sudden rush of accomplishment. When they fail, I feel a little sad. But regardless, I keep checking no matter if I am in Brookings or Phoenix.

One's hometown serves as a conduit to our current life and those growing up years. Sometimes, past memories aren't always favorable, like when you are a freshman and running from juniors who are hazing your introduction to high school. Or, when a bully embarassed you in front of a girl you liked. But more often than not, you recall the positive memories of the yesteryear when you won a wrestling match in the final seconds with a full Gym cheering, or you talked with a girl you liked in study hall and felt like your world couldn't get any better, or you shared a tear with a classmate at graduation.

So it is with the Olympic Games. Whether winter or summer, these games draw you in. Maybe it is because they happen every four years, your interest in captivated regardless of what you do or where you are. I think it is because these games represent what is right in sport.

These men and women give everything they have to represent their country. A friend of mine Derek Miles earned his way to two Summer Olympiads. I remember the day, he made the U.S. Team for the first time. A little tear welled up and I was ready to let the world know that this USD grad, this friend was going to compete against the world on the largest of stages.

Yes, it matters that the we have the Olympics and that we can cheer and watch these athletes compete, win, and wave the flag for our country. It gives us a strong, passionate feeling about who we are and why patriotism and pride of country really are important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Good Guy" Joe Glenn Returns to Alma Mater to Take Over FB Job

SD Prep Boys Basketball Preview - Race for Titles Begin Tonight

Ode to GHS Class of 1978 –