The Wood Relays Provides Venue for Prideful Moments

With dusk setting in, the Howard Wood Dakota Relays ended its 87th year Saturday after one of the most memorable meets in memory.

During the two-day Midwest track and field extravaganza at Howard Wood Stadium in Sioux Falls, S.D., thousands of people watched 21 meet records and five stadium marks fall. It was truly remarkable to see athletes shine at such a high level on a couple of picture-perfect weather days. It created a buzz that will continue for days if not longer.

In the pressbox, we watched with fascination as we anxiously looked for every bit of information to help build on the moments of these athletes. In that vein, the internet and Google filled an important role, as did a new Daktronics board and technology-smart staff. The announcers continued their smooth and informed delivery while a dedicated group of volunteers kept everything flowing in a personable and responsible manner.

As I looked down at a few fans from Sioux City West, I could see the pride in their faces after they had broken school and meet records in two sprint relays. A lot of glow shined on the faces of a group of Wall High School athletes, who won their first-ever Wood title. As I scanned the crowd, a lot of pride and beaming faces were in place.

For a few moments, I began to think about the parents - of the pride and joy that must feel to watch their sons and daughters perform. For some of them, this was their first trip to this Midwestern track and field extravanganza.

As I watched records fall, I started thinking about their (parents) emotions. I felt a sudden chill for those parents and family members witnessing sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, grandsons and granddaughters, nephews and nieces, friends and classmates competing at the Wood. As I watched the children of my friends, past and current, I was swept up by prideful feelings.

On my way to watch a field event competition, I saw an friend, a person I hadn't seen since I left Vermillion. Standing near the Vermillion team camp, Jeff Olson was sharing a video with his two daughters, Megan and Paige Olson, who had just competed in a section of the 4x800 meter relay. They were absorbed by the video and smiles adorned their faces.

It was a family moment that I stole a glimpse of as a father and two daughters shared a Wood experience. No, the Olsons had not led the Tanagers to a title but that didn't matter. The innocence and realness of that moment showed why athletic competitions are special and why they warm the heart.

In a meet where hundreds of athletes compete, thousands experience moments of pride. You see the wonders of humanity and humility. Athletes congratulating each other in manners of sportsmanship, even if they have never previously met.

I doubt that most parents know how big a meet that Wood is; and I don't think they'll calibrate its significance until later when the video, still images or a clipping from the newspaper falls from a notebook or scrapbook.

Like any athletic competition there is always joy of success.

At the same time, in another part of the stadium, athletes and supporters are anguishing over the pain of defeat...or injury. While a lot of value will be attached for competing, winning and setting records, there is also a dreary, if not sad, feeling that losing and especially injury can play on emotions of the competitors and their family.

When Carly Carper, the junior sprinting phenom from Oldham-Ramona-Rutland, was running neck and neck with AA standout Kari Heck from Sioux Falls Washington in the 100 meters semifinals and suddenly she grabbed her leg, I knew that the injury would be severe. I felt bad for her and winced at the emotions of that moment would have on her parents, her family. Then later, I saw the young star on crutches inch across the track with her teammates toward the end of the meet, and again I felt a twinge and a sad emotion hit me. Having witnessed injuries to other athletes, I know times will be tough for Carly for awhile but time allows for healing. Her smile will return, and if her grit on the track is any indication, she will return to track and field ready to conquer that world.

In competition, it is wrenching but injuries happen, sometimes after something really special happens. I feel for Carly and her support group, just as I felt for Jasmine King and her family last spring when she torn an Achilles at the state meet.

While those moments are difficult, it is important to take stock in the grandness of this athletic competition. It is to be valued.

I feel joy for those that were given an opportunity to compete at Howard Wood (and other competitions), regardless of the results.

The parents of Minot, N.D., Morgan Milbrath, who dazzled and captured the hearts of the Howard Wood Relays crowd, must be feeling special. She ran the nation's fifth best 400-meter time by a prep female with a clocking of 53.98. It was the fastest time run by a female college or high school athlete ever in South Dakota.

For USD's Bethany Buell, who cracked 13'9 1/2 in the pole vault (12th best jump in Division I), it must have been like sweet music to call her parents in St. Louis and relate the news. For the Watertown boys who set an all-time South Dakota mark in the 4x400 in the final race of the day, the parents must have been jumping in the aisles.

For my friend and USD and Gettysburg classmate John Lake, who I kid all the time about his lack of athletic prowess, watching his son compete must have generated some special feelings inside.

I saw my USD classmate Yvette Greer Albrecht, now Redfield's track coach, watch her son compete and a big smile broke out. It was in 1979 that he ran at the Wood for USD and lit up Wood field in the hurdles and sprints.

As I watched my hometown Gettysburg compete, I was reminded of the 1978 Battler team that tied Platte for a state track and field title. They won an 880-yard relay at Howard Wood. I wasn't at that meet or the state meet, but when they returned we shared the emotion of winning as friends and classmates do. Guys like Geoff Simon, Dave Langslet, Brad Meeks, Pat Simon, Brooke Bieber, Jeff Bohnenkamp, Drew Baldridge, Jim Rieger, Brad Tennant and a host of others tasted that rarity of success -- a championship. On Saturday, the Gettysburg team won a Howard Wood title in the 4x400 relay, which was a trademark event of success for the Battlers when I was in high school.

I think about Jacque and Jeff Olson of Vermillion, watching their triplets running around the track. How small  they were just a few years ago. I remember all the energy they had when they were nine years old and their mother was seemingly out of breath trying to stay with them. Now Colin is one of the Vermillion High boys standouts and Paige and Megan are starring for the girls team. I felt good for them with a sense of pride of how far they have come and what great things lie in their future.

I was happy for Julie Smoragiewicz, who like me, once worked in college relations, albeit at different South Dakota universities. I was cheering for her son, Tony, who was gunning for the best 3200 meter time in Wood and state history. He remains with another west river guy, Erik Grumstrup (2001), as the only South Dakota athletes to break nine minutes. While Tony didn't quite make it happen early on Saturday; when I talked with his coach and former USD classmate Dave Dolan, I felt like he was happy with his performance.

With that being the case, I was even more impressed with his maturity and what lies ahead for him. Smoragiewicz, who won both the 1600 meter and 3200 meter races, will have his day soon, perhaps at the region meet or State Track Meet back in Howard Wood Stadium later this month.

In the end, these Howard Wood Relays, were filled with the extraordinary moments that stand the test of time.

While construction of the Wood stadium in 2012 will cost some a chance to compete next year, the relays of 2013 will be bigger and better.

It will be a time once again when competition generates a buzz of excitement...when athletes create lifelong memories. In that crowd we will find parents, who feel unfettered pride for their children - regardless of outcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Good Guy" Joe Glenn Returns to Alma Mater to Take Over FB Job

Ode to GHS Class of 1978 –

SD Prep Boys Basketball Preview - Race for Titles Begin Tonight