"Amazing" Things and Likes

Sometimes during the evening hours, a TV show will draw out something that I had not thought about or considered previously.

That is, when I turn away from the entertaining pointless comedy (OK, sometimes bad comedy) for a show that offers a bit of substance.

The other night I was watching an old episode of the Waltons, Earl Hemmer Jr., series from 1971-81 about a Virginia family during the Depression and WWII. It is a TV show that still feel warms my heart. After watching reruns of According to Jim and King of Queens, the Waltons show, which I watched years ago as a kid, provided me insight about groups.

The episode centered on John Boy Walton (Actor - Richard Thomas) delivering a sermon after the local minister had just tied the knot with a local teacher and they were off on a honeymoon. It was John Boy's message of family and friendship in the Church setting that grabbed me. As I observed the Church congregation singing "Amazing Grace," it made me marvel at how a group of friends and neighbors can come together as a group and pull off singing a hymn in rhythm and flow and in a soothing way. It is amazing that some in the group might otherwise make the dog howl but when mixing the hearty tenors with the softer soprano and alto voices, a wonder in music takes shape.

I had not thought about how a Church Congregation is a special group, who by repetition and adherence to structure are able to make beautiful music. I get it, recording studios aren't headed to the local church to capture the sweet music of a congregation but, the congregation at a church is one of those experiences that just makes me smile and appreciate "love of God," family, friends and neighbors as John Boy reminded us that we should do in his sermon about everyday life.

As I reflected on congregations, it stirred some other thoughts about things I like or find "amazing."

Some other things I like or find "Amazing --

~ How friends are always friends no matter time or distance. Earlier this year, I was at a basketball tournament at the Sioux Falls (SD) Arena, and as I headed to the concession stands for a bit of the salty popcorn, I met a friend of mine from college years ago. He lives in Rapid City now and I haven't talked to him since the early 1980s. But as we meet in a corridor, smiles appeared, and a hearty hello was followed by conversation about our lives. I have found that happening more recently of late and places like gas stations, book stores, coffee shops etc. It still makes a person feel good to know that the passing of years doesn't dampen friendship.

~ Fireplaces stir the soul. When I go to Coffea here in Sioux Falls, my local coffee haunt, for a cup of brew every morning, I find a spot near the fireplace because it soothes me. The fireplace is like those bonfires I attended while a teenager when the beverage wasn't coffee but a grain of some form and how we always seem to share stories -- yes, sometimes flinging tall tales. Embellishment is part of the game around the fire. Regardless of the stories, it is a pleasant experience to be with others in heating up the night.

~ No matter where you go, your hometown will always be home. I haven't lived in my hometown of Gettysburg since 1986 when I moved to Mitchell to take a job with the Daily Republic. Yet, every time the weather reports pop up I take a peak at what is going on in the 'Burg. Same holds true with news items. When there is an accident or a blizzard or something else, I always read it. I still look at the Potter County News from time to time. When Gettysburg was making one of seven trips to the SD High School Football Playoffs and doing well (4th in 2011) at the SD Track Meet, I felt proud - even if I don't know any of the young people performing on the field, in the arena or on the track. Every Friday I watch the local sports scoreboard to find out if the Battlers won or lost. I am frustrated if they don't post the score for Gettysburg. When I hear somebody mention Gettysburg, my head always jerks toward those comments. Where you are from always stirs passion.

~ The pleasure of a good Sunday morning breakfast. Maybe it is just me but I love my eggs, toast and Canadian bacon with a side of fruit every Sunday. In fact, I look forward to it. I suspect it is because when I was young Sunday breakfast was always a big deal in the family. It was good grub mixed with a sharing of what everybody in the family was doing. It is good people time.

~ Start of the fall sport season, specifically  football. I always find that the start of fall brings a renewal. Inside, you get a little excited about this new start, about the opening of school and its sports season. I find a little pep in my step wherever I am. 

~ People who greet you with unsolicited hello. For me I find a lot of good in people that are willing to say hello without being prompted. The courtesy of welcoming someone is "great humanness" that we all need. It doesn't take any more energy in being happy and welcoming than it does being grouchy or obstinate.

~ Unconditional love of a dog. I have owned dogs or had them in my family since I can remember to walk. There was Blackie, Sam, Laddie, Scamper, Duke, Cheyenne and Velvet and now the lovely Sierra. Add to those names are those of my brother Don's dogs, Dusty and Rusty, and my younger brother Jeff, who has had Tonka and Maggie Mae. Many of those "family members" are gone but never forgotten. Every day I come home, Sierra greets me with a smile and a bunch of kisses. Dogs are truly your best friend even when they greet you with an occasional "where in the heck have you been?" Priceless.

~ Soothing feeling of a good movie. I love going to the movie theatre, grabbing a water and a box of buttered popcorn, grabbing a seat about 15 rows back and sliding down into the chair for the previews and then a movie. Everything about you goes quiet and you have the opportunity to take in the spectacular of the theatre. The moments that you spend connecting to that experience provides stress relief and gives you pause to laugh, cry and think a little. As Jimmy Valvano said, "that makes a full day."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Good Guy" Joe Glenn Returns to Alma Mater to Take Over FB Job

SD Prep Boys Basketball Preview - Race for Titles Begin Tonight

Ode to GHS Class of 1978 –