Hines Ward Will be Missed in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh said goodbye today to arguably its greatest wide receiver ever - Hines Ward.

I remember the first time I saw Ward play. It wasn't as a Steeler but as a member of the Georgia Bulldogs in the 1995 Peach Bowl. As a sophomore wide receiver/running back, he stepped in at quarterback and set numerous records. He completed 31-of-59 passes for 413 yards (469 total yards) in Georgia's 34-27 loss to Virginia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4a8o1h0XgM

I didn't know it then but Ward would someday wear the Steelers colors and become one of my favorite players in the NFL - ever.

When he was drafted by Pittsburgh in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft, I remember thinking, "just another special teams guy, who might be a little like Slash (Kordell Stewart), a guy who could catch, run a bit and maybe throw an occasional ball." To become the greatest receiver in Steelers' history - no way.

Boy, I was wrong. He did all those football things and much more.

Ward became one of the faces of the Steelers' franchise, a team guy that would do anything to help Pittsburgh win.

Hard-nosed to the core, he always seemed to make a big play. Plus, he liked to mix it up - especially with the hated (Baltimore) Ravens - with that trademark grin. Many Steelers' fans remember fondly when he put Ed Reed on the ground with a monster hit. He did it time and again vs. the hated Ravens, who at one point put out a "bounty" or so said Baltimore defensive end Terrell Suggs. I believe Ward's passion, hits, and big grin increased the intensity of that rivalry.

I think that is why so many Steelers are a little heart-broken today that Ward is being cut and choosing not to retire. Ward should never wear another team's jersey but he will.

On Facebook on Feb. 29 (today), Ward thanked the Steelers and the fans in a statement:

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in... particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season."

Ward, a native of Seoul, South Korea, accumulated 1,000 catches, 12,083 yards and had 29 career 100-yard receiving games with 85 career TDs during his career in Pittsburgh.

A four-time All-Pro, Ward led Pittsburgh to three Super Bowls, winning twice in 2005 (Seattle) and 2008 (Arizona) before falling short in 2010 (Green Bay).  

The 2005 Super Bowl MVP, Ward will always epitomize, at least to me, what football is about. A receiver with glue-like hands, Ward is as tough as nails, focused and a guy with a lot of guts and pride. He was never afraid to mix it up. Some call him the greatest blocking receiver in league history.

Every time Ward delivered a hit, and, yes some were borderline cheap shots; or when he made one of his patented possession-extending third down plays, he would get up with that trademark grin. Even when he was smoked on a play, he always seemed to pop right back up, regardless of the pain he was feeling.

He played for his teammates, the Steelers organization and the fans. The crazies waving "Terrible Towels" loved the guy. He was the Steeler that carried the torch for the Steel City.

I have many memories of Ward but the lasting one is the gadget play TD in the Steelers' 21-10 Super Bowl win over Seattle in 2005 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcqADaO8og.

Ward, who once had a 186-game streak with a pass reception (ended in 2010), hauled in a 43-yard TD reception from wide receiver Antwaan Randel El.

As he danced into end zone with the game-breaking TD, Ward, who had 123 yards receiving that day, sent the entire Steeler nation into a frenzy. After that play, I did a little dance myself in the Sioux City bar where I was watching the game with my brother Jeff (to the chagrin of the patrons of the establishment).

I, like other Steeler fans, always respected how Hines showed up in big moments as indicated by his 76 receptions, 1,064 yards, and eight receiving touchdowns in 14 playoff games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiQirw06js&feature=related

Ward, also admired for among other things - his philanthropic ways and a little bit for his "Dancing with the Stars" win with Kym Johnson in 2012 - will play on.

Yes, I think he should retire.

For me, Ward was a class guy and a true leader. Even when he had a little trouble because of a DWI, he apologized immediately and did not run from that situation. He admitted how wrong he was for getting into a vehicle and driving after having a few drinks. We need more players that accept responsiblity.

To me, Ward needs to be one of those guys that wears one team's colors - Pittsburgh - to the end, including that day in the future when he is enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame.

No way should Ward ever wear another team's jersey.

I hope that Pittsburgh doesn't assign his number to some rookie or free agent signee at least for a year. It will be hard enough watching the Steelers games next season, minus the franchise's greatest-ever wide out.

I just have one request of Hines Ward as he moves forward, please don't ever put on a Ravens jersey. It just wouldn't be right.

We will miss you #86. Good luck.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Good Guy" Joe Glenn Returns to Alma Mater to Take Over FB Job

Ode to GHS Class of 1978 –

SD Prep Boys Basketball Preview - Race for Titles Begin Tonight